compensation: Depending on education level employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Responsible for coordinating the delivery of comprehensive disabilities services to children with special needs and their families in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Develop and Implement a Disabilities Service Plan and Mental Health Service Plan for the program.
• Coordinate the recruitment of children with special needs or disabilities into the program by collaborating with other staff members and community agencies.
• Develop a successful strategy for transitioning children with special needs or disabilities from the Head Start program into kindergarten or another community program.
• Collaborate with the classroom staff to facilitate the integration of special needs activities in the classroom curriculum.
• Coordinate special needs screenings for children in accordance with the Head Start Performance Standards.
• Assist in Developing Individualized Family Service Plans, Individualized Education Programs, and Individualized Positive Behavior Support Plans for children who are in need of special education.
• Monitor and track the program’s special needs/disabilities/mental health services: Track referrals, follow-up, evaluations, and IFSP/IEP/Behavior Plan meetings.
• Establish and maintain a reporting system for special needs/disabilities/mental health services.
• Assist in developing Policies and Procedures that support the Disabilities and Mental Health Service Plans.
• Assist in conducting community needs assessments to identify disabilities and mental health services needed for young children and families. In addition, utilize the findings to improve the program.
2. Act as the Special Needs Resource Liaison-
• Develop and maintain strong partnerships with community agencies.
• Develop Memorandums of Agreement as needed with community agencies.
• Provide families and staff with current information related to special needs, disabilities, and child mental health.
• Assist families in finding support and resources needed in the Anchorage area.
• Ensure families understand the special needs services their child is receiving and are engaged in the process.
3. Provide Special Needs/Disabilities and Mental Health Support and Training-
• Provide and facilitate training opportunities for staff and volunteers.
• Provide in-classroom support to teachers
• Coordinate and/or provide special needs training for Head Start parents.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
• Must be familiar with Alaska Native/American Indian heritage and culture and must be able to serve and effectively communicate with the children and families enrolled in the CINHS program.
• Knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards.
• Knowledge of early childhood development, early intervention theories and practices, family development.
• Knowledge of community resources, especially disability resources.
• Excellent verbal and written skills.
• Ability to work well independently and be self-directed.
• Ability to work in a team management environment.
• Baccalaureate Degree in Early Childhood Education or Human Services with preference of an advanced degree in Early Childhood Education.
• Current First Aid and CPR certification or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check as required by state and federal law.
• Must successfully complete TB and hepatitis screening exams and any required vaccinations.
• Minimum one year experience working with special needs.
• Valid Alaska Driver’s License.
The majority of work is performed in a professional setting. The employee may be exposed to normal childhood diseases. Safety precautions such as annual TB test, required immunizations/vaccinations, and period physical examinations are required when working in the school environment. On occasion, the employee may assist with direct care activities which may include lifting up to 50 pounds, standing, carrying, and other physical activity as necessary to support day to day operations of the Head Start program. May be required to provide customer care in the home or in other locations away from primary work site.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT, AN APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED. THEY ARE AVAILABLE AT 6901 E. TUDOR ROAD OR WWW.COOKINLETNATIVEHEADSTART.NET UNDER THE DOCUMENTS TAB.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities